Subject: Re: scheduler woes on MPACPI kernel
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Bieg <tomsbsd04@tiscali.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2005 08:00:54
Two things I'd like to note here:

1. If you're really nice-ing your make process(es) to -20 (minus 20)
    you're actually doing the exact opposite of what you wanted to do.

    A negative nice value means more CPU time for the process, not
    less.

    Have another look a the nice(1) man page or maybe the man page
    of your shell (as you seem to be using a shell-builtin nice
    command).

2. If your machine is not a real multi-processor machine (with
    more than one physical CPU) but one of those "hyper-threading"-
    enabled P4s, then the scheduler may not quite get things right.

    Though I can't explain this any further I know that the scheduler
    would have to be specially adapted to make optimal use of such
    a CPU, and as far as I know this hasn't happened (yet).

    With the scheduler in it's current state, you might get any of
    better/same/worse results with a MP kernel (compared to an UP
    kernel), depending on what you do.

    But then again, if this doesn't apply to you (and the above
    doesn't help), something different is wrong and someone else will
    have to chime in.

Regards,
Tom