Subject: Re: noise on pci bus?
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/2005 10:16:54
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:57:58PM +0100, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> I doubt the PCI bus itself is noisy.  But your sound card could
> very well be picking up noise from other parts of the computer.
> It's a very hostile environment for analog electronics.
>
> 	-- Lennart

That's pretty much what I meant, just phrased in a better manner :-)

So, on that note... is there anything I can do about it? Switch back to the
auvia onboard sound, and hope that it eventually gets better support? That's
what I had to do with the last machine to have this SB Live! in it (a Duron
1ghz) (although, I doubt it's the fault of the SB Live!... though it does
puzzle me that nothing like this ever happened in my p3 650 with an ISA SB64.
That's why I suspected something on the PCI bus.)

As for noise from other parts of the computer... well, I'm sure there is
plenty of that, with eight fans and five HD's :-\