Subject: Re: Performance on Transmeta Crusoe
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse Kliemann <lasse-list-current-users-netbsd-2004@plastictree.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/2005 12:04:42
--R3G7APHDIzY6R/pk

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

* Daniel Carosone writes:
> Perhaps an issue with your X server configuration (driver, chipset
> acceleration, frame buffer access, etc).  Some details of this would
> be useful. You mentioned something about 'trusted' frame buffer
> access, what did you mean? How are you setting the $DISPLAY ?

'trusted' access is what you normally have if you just start your applicati=
on=20
under the same user with which you started the X session. For starting a=20
webbrowser, I usually first switch to a differnt account than the one with=
=20
which I logged in. I have to grant this second account access to the X disp=
lay=20
via xauth. There I have the choice of 'trusted' access 'untrusted'. 'untrus=
ted'=20
is supposed to reduce the privileges of this account to influence other X=
=20
applications or to capture keystrokes etc (however, this is not very well=
=20
documented, and I found out most about it by testing). I use this as a secu=
rity=20
feature in case there is a security problem with the webbrowser.

'untrusted' access certainly slows things down. But there is something else=
=20
wrong on my system, still. All observations from my last post were made whe=
n=20
Firefox was started the "normal" way, i.e., under the account that I used=
=20
to log in. No xauth was involved there.

Looking further into X seems a good idea. I attach my current xorg.conf and=
 the=20
output of xpdyinfo.

> It might also help if you can run some other tests to isolate the
> problem to raw cpu speed, display speed, memory usage or whatever.
> Firefox (especially with anti-aliased font rendering) needs all of
> those, and maybe only one is the issue.

Yes. I will take these later and post them here.

--=20
Lasse Kliemann
      private homepage: http://plastictree.net
   NO software patents: http://swpat.ffii.org
do NOT use M$ products: http://plastictree.net/articles/noms

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"  	# Double buffer extension

    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"
    #Load        "speedo"

    Load       "glx"
    Load       "dri"
EndSection

Section "Files"

    RgbPath	"/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/rgb"

    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/"

    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/auxfonts/Mozilla"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/auxfonts/Xg"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/auxfonts/efont"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/auxfonts/freefont"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/auxfonts/misc"
    FontPath   "/var/service/xdm2/auxfonts/misc/sgi"

    ModulePath "/var/service/xdm2/Xroot/lib/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
# Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
# received.  This may leave the console in an unusable state, but may
# provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging

#    Option     "NoTrapSignals"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><Fn> VT switch sequence
# (where n is 1 through 12).  This allows clients to receive these key
# events.

#    Option     "DontVTSwitch"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence
# This allows clients to receive this key event.

#    Option     "DontZap"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode switching
# sequences.  This allows clients to receive these key events.

#    Option     "DontZoom"

# Uncomment this to disable tuning with the xvidtune client. With
# it the client can still run and fetch card and monitor attributes,
# but it will not be allowed to change them. If it tries it will
# receive a protocol error.

    Option     "DisableVidModeExtension"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local xvidtune client.

#    Option     "AllowNonLocalXvidtune"

# Uncomment this to disable dynamically modifying the input device
# (mouse and keyboard) settings.

#    Option     "DisableModInDev"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local client to
# change the keyboard or mouse settings (currently only xset).

#    Option     "AllowNonLocalModInDev"

# Set the basic blanking screen saver timeout.

    Option      "blank time"    "10"    # 10 minutes

# Set the DPMS timeouts.  These are set here because they are global
# rather than screen-specific.  These settings alone don't enable DPMS.
# It is enabled per-screen (or per-monitor), and even then only when
# the driver supports it.

#    Option      "standby time"  "20"
#    Option      "suspend time"  "30"
#    Option      "off time"      "60"

# On some platform the server needs to estimate the sizes of PCI
# memory and pio ranges. This is done by assuming that PCI ranges
# don't overlap. Some broken BIOSes tend to set ranges of inactive
# devices wrong. Here one can adjust how aggressive the assumptions
# should be. Default is 0.

# Option   "EstimateSizesAggresively" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Keyboard1"
    Driver	"kbd"
    #Driver	"keyboard"

#    Option     "Protocol"      "Xqueue"
    Option     "AutoRepeat"    "120 50"
#    Option     "Xleds" "1 2 3"
#    Option     "XkbDisable"

#    Option     "XkbModel"      "pc102"
    Option     "XkbModel"      "pc105"
#    Option     "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#    Option     "XkbModel"      "pc104"
#    Option     "XkbLayout"     "de"
#    Option     "XkbLayout"     "de"
#    Option     "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#    Option     "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"

# These are the default XKB settings for X.Org
#
    Option     "XkbRules"      "xorg"
#    Option     "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
#    Option     "XkbModel"      "pc101"
#    Option     "XkbLayout"     "us"
#    Option     "XkbVariant"    ""
#    Option     "XkbOptions"    ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
#    Option     "Protocol"      "Auto"

# The available mouse protocols types that you can set below are:
#    Auto BusMouse GlidePoint GlidePointPS/2 IntelliMouse IMPS/2
#    Logitech Microsoft MMHitTab MMSeries Mouseman MouseManPlusPS/2
#    MouseSystems NetMousePS/2 NetScrollPS/2 OSMouse PS/2 SysMouse
#    ThinkingMouse ThinkingMousePS/2 Xqueue
    Option "Protocol"    "wsmouse"

    Option "Device"      "/dev/wsmouse0"
#   Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
#   Option "Device"      "/dev/ttyS0"
#   Option "Device"      "/dev/ttyS1"

#    Option "Protocol"	"Xqueue"
#    Option "BaudRate"		"9600"
#    Option "SampleRate"	"150"
#    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#    Option "Emulate3Timeout"    "50"
#    Option "ChordMiddle"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor1"

    HorizSync   27-100    # Belinea
    #HorizSync   27-90    # Beamer
    #HorizSync   35-67    # Scott

    VertRefresh 50-150    # Belinea
    #VertRefresh 50-100   # Beamer
    #VertRefresh 50-120   # Scott
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Device1"
    #Driver      "nv"
    #Driver      "ati"
    Driver      "sis"
    #VideoRam    4096
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen1"
    Device      "Device1"
    Monitor     "Monitor1"

   DefaultDepth 16

   Subsection "Display"
       Depth       16
       Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Layout1"
    Screen "Screen1"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    The X.Org Foundation
vendor release number:    681
X.Org version: 0.0.0.681
maximum request size:  16777212 bytes
motion buffer size:  256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    7
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
    depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 255
focus:  window 0x180000e, revert to Parent
number of extensions:    28
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DAMAGE
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    Extended-Visual-Information
    FontCache
    GLX
    LBX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    RANDR
    RENDER
    SECURITY
    SGI-GLX
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    TOG-CUP
    X-Resource
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XFIXES
    XFree86-Bigfont
    XFree86-Misc
    XInputExtension
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
    XVideo
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  print screen:    no
  dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (347x260 millimeters)
  resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
  depths (7):    16, 1, 4, 8, 15, 24, 32
  root window id:    0x3b
  depth of root window:    16 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x20
  default number of colormap cells:    64
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 65535
  largest cursor:    64x64
  current input event mask:    0xf0001d
    KeyPressMask             ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask    =
   =20
    EnterWindowMask          SubstructureRedirectMask FocusChangeMask      =
   =20
    PropertyChangeMask       ColormapChangeMask      =20
  number of visuals:    4
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x23
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x24
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x25
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs--

--R3G7APHDIzY6R/pk

--R3G7APHDIzY6R/pk--