Subject: Re: iwictl program location and the iwi driver (for Intel 2200BG)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/2005 15:14:25
On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 08:47:22PM +0100, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Sverre Froyen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now that Damien Bergamini's iwi driver is in the tree, it seems
> > pertinent to consider the location of the iwictl program and the
> > associated Intel firmware.  Obviously, the firmware needs to be loaded
> > before the interface will work and if you use dhcp the interface must
>
> What's the licence of the iwi firmware? Would it be possible
> to include it in the kernel and load that when the device is configured?

Just curious: is the Intel stuff warmed-over Intersil Prism54?
Perhaps there is a redistributable Intersil Prism firmware?

Another question: is the Intel b/g chipset perhaps an Xscale processor
with a modem & transceiver tacked on?  I hear that there are open-source
network operating systems that run on Xscale....

I'd sure like to see photos of the insides of both the Intel .11b and
.11b/g products, if somebody has any to share.

Dave