Subject: Re: anoncvs and build problems
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/2005 15:46:30
On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 06:25:33PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 04:49:50PM -0800, Ed Gould wrote:
> > Over the past two days, I have seen unexpected conflicts appear when
> > doing a "cvs update" of my source tree from anoncvs.netbsd.org.  Last
> > week, I did one or two updates from a mirror with no apparent problems.
> >  Now, when I do an update, I get a number of pairs of messages of the
> > form
> >
> >     cvs update: move away usr.bin/extattr/getextattr.c; it is in the way
> >     C usr.bin/extattr/getextattr.c
>
> I think the anoncvs server still has memory problems. You should switch back
> to the mirror for now, I guess.

As far as I can tell, it does not in fact have memory problems (nor disk
problems) at this time.

What I *have* seen many recent reports of, however, are:

1) Users with strange state in CVS/ directories resulting from using
   different combinations of tags and roots to repeatedly check out
   trees or parts thereof from different servers.

2) Users who got corrupt files from anoncvs while it was having memory
   problems, or from mirrors that got corrupt files from anoncvs at that
   time, who are having trouble updating them.

I have checked every specific report of corruption on anoncvs that has
been made to me in the past several days and have found no actual
corruption.  There was a brief interval after the machine came up when
there were some strange things in its repository copy because the sync
script was running many times at once but that has been fixed for two
days now.

Thor