Subject: iwictl program location and the iwi driver (for Intel 2200BG)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/12/2005 08:59:37
Hi,

Now that Damien Bergamini's iwi driver is in the tree, it seems
pertinent to consider the location of the iwictl program and the
associated Intel firmware.  Obviously, the firmware needs to be loaded
before the interface will work and if you use dhcp the interface must
work before before dhclient is started.  The easiest way to achieve
this, seems to me, is to place something like

 !iwictl -i $int -d zzzz -m bss
 up media autoselect ssid xxxx nwkey yyyy

in the file /etc/ifconfig.iwi0.

Since /etc/rc.d/network is run before the /usr partition is mounted,
however, this implies that both iwictl program and the directory zzzz
must be in the root partition.  iwictl probably belongs in /sbin, but I
could not see an obvious place for the firmware.  Is there such a place
and, if not, should one be created?

Thanks,

Sverre

PS This likely applies to the ipw driver as well.