Subject: Re: problems building -current
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@redcrowgroup.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/2005 17:15:52
In message <41E2EDEA.1040109@redcrowgroup.com>, Jeff Rizzo writes:
>Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
>>I'm doing a 'make release'; on the INSTALL kernels, I'm getting this
>>error:
>>
>>#   compile  INSTALL/ext2fs_vfsops.o
>>cc -ffreestanding -Os -Werror -Wall -Wno-main -Wno-format-zero-length -Wpoint
>er-arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-sign-compare -fno-zero-
>initialized-in-bss -Di386 -I. -I/usr/src/sys/arch -I/usr/src/sys -nostdinc -DM
>ALLOC_NOINLINE -DMAXUSERS=32 -D_KERNEL -D_KERNEL_OPT -c /usr/src/sys/ufs/ext2f
>s/ext2fs_vfsops.c
>>/usr/src/sys/ufs/ext2fs/ext2fs_vfsops.c: In function `ext2fs_mount':
>>/usr/src/sys/ufs/ext2fs/ext2fs_vfsops.c:252: warning: `devvp' might be used u
>ninitialized in this function
>>*** Error code 1
>>
>>For reasons that are not immediately obvious to me, the GENERIC.*
>>kernels build successfully, including ext2fs_vfsops.o.  It's also
>>not obvious to me why the complier thinks that devvp might be
>>uninitialized, though that may just be the limits of the compiler's
>>flow analysis ability.
>>

>For what it's worth, "me too!".  Would it be worthwhile to just
>initialize it to NULL simply to work around the problem, or does someone
>with more clue know how to fix it properly...?

Without understanding the problem more, I'm extremely reluctant to do
that.  In particular, when I looked at the code I saw absolutely
nothing that looked to be conditional on an INSTALL kernel vs. a
GENERIC, which makes me think that the real problem is elsewhere.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb