Subject: Re: HEADS UP: XFree86 3.3.6 has been EOLed
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/2005 15:12:05
[ On Saturday, January 8, 2005 at 03:38:56 (-0600), Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: XFree86 3.3.6 has been EOLed
>
> > BTW, when will xsrc/xfree move over to src/dist where it belongs now
> > that the reach-over build is working?
> > (and if not, why not!?!?!?!)
>
> 	Why would you want that?  Personally, I consider it a good thing
> that a whole bunch of sources that I almost never care to rebuild
> don't get included when I checkout the source tree.

Why would you not want to do that?

It's part of the source tree, damn it!  _EVERYTHING_ that's maintained
and supported as any integral part of the whole project should be there,
and src/x11 is, I think in most opinions, a quite integral part of the
NetBSD project now.

It sort of made sense to avoid merging xsrc with src back when the
former couldn't be cross-compiled, but now that it can it makes a great
deal of sense to merge it and to avoid all the complexity that every
user who wants to build src/x11.  It also means having it all together
makes it easier to get it all built and tested more often.  It's
currently extremely frustrating to find changes in xsrc that have been
committed some months earlier and still have not been tested on some
platforms.

> 	I'd be even happier if I could easily cut more stuff out
> (such as any arch/* dirs besides i386, alpha and macppc), but that's not
> quite as easy to do.

Why would you ever want to do that?  It doesn't take up much space (on
even semi-modern disks :-), and it doesn't take up much time or effort
to "use" (or not "use", as the case may be).

You certainly don't have to build all that stuff all the time, or even
look at it, just as you don't have to build src/x11 if you don't want
to, but I think it should be "there" every time you checkout and work on
the project sources.

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>