Subject: Re: HEADS UP: XFree86 3.3.6 has been EOLed
To: NetBSD X11 Technical Discussion List <tech-x11@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/2005 03:38:56
On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 01:01:16AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I think it would be wise and highly desirable to at least merge
> yesterday's head up to the netbsd-1-6 branch.  I've been running
> xsrc-current on 1.6.x for some time now (e.g. on alpha and sparc) and
> I've been extremely happy with the result.  I.e. I would suggest that
> the merge could be done without worry -- it'll all just work fine on
> 1.6.x.  At least it does on alpha and sparc!  ;-)
	sounds good to me, but I have no idea of the state of any xsrc
stuff or the difficulty of doing this.  It shouldn't be that hard.

> > All NetBSD ports will use XFree86 4.x based X11 bits in future as they
> > already do in the NetBSD 2.0 release.
>
> What _exactly_ does it mean?  The "will use ... in future" bit is most
> puzzling.

	huh?  I read that to mean that we'll being using Xfree 4.x from
now on.

> BTW, when will xsrc/xfree move over to src/dist where it belongs now
> that the reach-over build is working?
> (and if not, why not!?!?!?!)

	Why would you want that?  Personally, I consider it a good thing
that a whole bunch of sources that I almost never care to rebuild
don't get included when I checkout the source tree.
	I'd be even happier if I could easily cut more stuff out
(such as any arch/* dirs besides i386, alpha and macppc), but that's not
quite as easy to do.

eric