Subject: Re: anoncvs server available
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/2005 12:48:50

Quoting Jeremy C. Reed (
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > Can you easily change which cvs server you check out from, without doing a
> > complete new checkout?
> Use the cvs -d option, like:
>   cvs -d login # password is anoncvs
> Use the -d with each use of cvs.
> Or modify your many CVS/Root files.

There is one instance where modifying the CVS/Root files is manditory.
I have used the technique described in the section with the title
"Multiple repositories" to merge in local modifications to my copy of
pkgsrc and src.  Some time ago, I wrote a script function which
actually scans for the CVS/Root files, verifies their original
contents, and then updates it to the desired repository.  This script
is essentially

    find . -type f -print | grep CVS/Root | xargs grep -l ${OLD_CVSROOT} | while read f
        echo ${CVSROOT} > ${f}

Works great, and is less filling. ;)

- Doug
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.  Since I don't want them, why
            should my employer, or anybody else for that matter!