Subject: Re: Strange xterm behavior in gnome
To: walt <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/2005 21:48:22
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:30:49 -0800
walt <> wrote:

> Aha!  The plot thickens...
> Now when I start xterm from the run dialog everything works normally.
> The xterm responds to signal 15 and to 'exit' or CTRL-D.

Ok.  If you do 'ps ax | grep xterm' you'll likely see two processes: one
is the shell used to launch the command you give, and the other one is

> BUT!
> When I create a custom icon for xterm on the gnome panel and start
> the xterm by clicking on it -- the same old problem occurs, even with
> ksh instead of bash.
> So -- what is the difference between using the run dialog and a
> custom icon to start a process?

I don't know for sure, but it looks like the run dialog execs the program
using a shell (ksh -c whatever) while the panel runs it directly.

>  And what is the difference between
> ksh and bash?  I hope you know the answers ;o)

Not sure (yet).  Please file a PR with enough details or a pointer to this
discussion, and I'll take responsibility for it (so that I don't forget).

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -