Subject: problems with X configuration
To: None <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/2005 16:59:42
I'm having trouble trying to configure X on a new Dell 8400 with a flat
panel display.  I ran X -configure; it mostly got things right, but
doesn't seem able to figure out the 1600x1200 resolution that the
adapter, the screen, and -- "the OS shipped with the box" -- can all

I've put the Xlog at; I think the
problem is that 1600x1200 is described as a "future mode".  I assume I
need a Modes section; what I don't know is what all the mystical
numbers should be.  I mean -- I don't even know what a DotClock or an
hdisp are, let alone what values I should supply....

Advice gratefully appreciated.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin,