Subject: Re: pcmcia/ethernet: couldn't configure, setting IOBASE/IOSIZE without compiling new kernel?
To: A. F. Cano <afc@shibaya.lonestar.org>
From: Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2005 13:49:00
On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 05:20:59PM -0500, A. F. Cano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to netbsd but I've already spent quite a few hours researching
> this, so please bear with me.
>
> My ultimate goal is to read some HDs written on a sun3/SunOS 4.1.1.
> I've been steered to netbsd because of its good support for multiple
> architectures and the apparent capability to mount the SunOS (SCSI)
> disks with their different endianness.  I have installed netbsd 2.0
> on an IDE disk (P3 computer, i386) and have plugged one of the sun3
> disks I want to read on an adaptec 2940 UW controller.  The controller
> is recognized as ahc1.  The boot process recognizes the attached drive
> but netbsd doesn't see/recognize it as sd0.
>
> First question: I presume this is normal behavior for a foreign FS
> and the standard kernel?  I downloaded the first CD (iso image) and
> burned a CD locally, that's how I installed netbsd on that computer.
>
> Is is possible to set some parameter that would allow mounting the
> disk and/or make sense of the sunOS fs without recompiling a new kernel?
> I presume not, and thus the main question.
>
> The standard installation can't configure the 3Com 3c589 pcmcia card
> plugged into a pcmcia to PCI adapter.  After researching the issue
> quite extensively, I gather that options
>
> PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOBASE=0x300
> PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOSIZE=0x0FF

I am using two variants of 3c589 card with a cardbus bridge with only
minor glitches related to suspend/resume.
I think it worked with the default kernel, I only used the io
specification for an isa bridge that is broken now. I am not sure what
exactly this does but I was reading some page that said something about
16-bit /24-bit io spaces which should not apply to a cardbus/pci bridge.

I get:
cbb0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0: Texas Instruments PCI 1225 PCI-CardBus
Bridge (rev 0x01)
cbb1 .. .. function1 ..
cbb0 interruting at irq 11
cardslot0 at cbb0: slot 0 flags 0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 2 device 0
pcmcia0 at cardslot0
.. 1
ep0 at pcmcia1 function 0: <3Com Corporation, 3C589D, TP/BNC LAN Card
Ver 2a, 000002>
ep0: address ...
eb0: 10BaseT, ... (default 10BaseT)

hth