Subject: Re: pcmcia/ethernet: couldn't configure, setting IOBASE/IOSIZE without compiling new kernel?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: A. F. Cano <afc@shibaya.lonestar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/2004 19:02:23
On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 06:14:45PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > Originally I wrote:
> >My ultimate goal is to read some HDs written on a sun3/SunOS 4.1.1.
> >I've been steered to netbsd because of its good support for multiple
> >architectures and the apparent capability to mount the SunOS (SCSI)
> >disks with their different endianness.  I have installed netbsd 2.0
> >on an IDE disk (P3 computer, i386) and have plugged one of the sun3
> >disks I want to read on an adaptec 2940 UW controller.  The controller
> >is recognized as ahc1.  The boot process recognizes the attached drive
> >but netbsd doesn't see/recognize it as sd0.
> >

> Could you post the dmesg output?  I realize that that's hard without a
> working network connection...

No problem.  It's not that much. Copying manually from one screen to
separate keyboard, this is what dmesg says about the pcmcia system
and the network card:

pcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 7
pcib0: Intel 82371AB PCI-to-ISA Bridge (PIIX4) (rev. 0x02)
cbb0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PCI-CardBus
     Bridge (rev. 0x01)
cbb0: interrupting at irq 5
cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 228 device 0
pcmcia at cardslot0
ep0 at pcmcia0 function 0: 3Com 3c589 10Mbps Ethernet
ep0: wrote 0x7ff to TX_AVAIL_THRESH, read back 0x0. Interface disabled
ep0: couldn't configure controller

> If the boot process sees sd0 there, I don't know what you mean when you
> say that "netbsd doesn't see/recognize it".  What happens if you run

Ah yes, I wasn't clear here.  At an earlier point in the boot process,
before even the disk loader runs, the SCSI card's BIOS sees the
attached disk.  If entering the diagnostics mode in the SCSI controller
(by typing ^A at boot time), it is possible to scan the drive for
bad sectors and low-level formatting it, not that I've done the latter,
of course.  But that's all I see, in dmesg there's no mention of sd0.

All that dmesg says (with regards to the SCSI controller and disk)
is:

ahc1 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter
ahc1: interrupting at irq 11
ahc1: aic7880: Ultra Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/253 SCBs
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...

> 'disklabel sd0' on that drive?

disklabel: /dev/rsd0d: Device not configured

Something else just occurred to me: the SCSI controller has two
buses, the wide one, to which nothing is attached and the old-style
one.  I wonder if the driver should see this one (where the drive
is attached as scsibus1?  It seems to have lumped all 16 possible
devices togeher.  This is, after all, a 2940W/2940UW (per the markings
on the circuit board.

> 		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

Thank you very much for responding!

Augustine