Subject: Re: Upgrade snag with tlp0 in Alpha PWS 433
To: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/2004 19:10:27
On Wed 29 Dec 2004 at 18:48:12 +0100, Michael Kukat wrote:
> What's on the other side of the cable? Some NWAY autosensing stuff or
> something without autosensing capabilities or maybe a managed device
> where you can configure all this funny stuff?

It's an Alcatel Speedtouch Home ADSL modem. I have heard it is not known
for its stable ethernet implementation; long cables seem to cause
trouble quickly. I suspect it only works properly with one speed
setting.

> As said, my 2 MIATAs have fine network access (a bit slow, okay) with onboard
> tlp, and the even have different chips inside. One is -52, the other -53.

Is that the "pass 3.0" that I have in my dmesg?

> Does the other cable end show some link LED or so?

No, as far as I can see it is only an activity led, when there is actual
data being sent.

> Can't play around with my tlp currently, as there are some days scheduled for
> package building, which needs NFS :)

Yes, I'm building packages too, with pkg_comp, so I can replace all
stuff in one go.

> ...Michael
-Olaf.
--
                           -- Ceterum censeo "authored[1]" delendum esse.
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- [1] Ugly English neologism[2].