Subject: Use of USB devices under Linux emulation
To: tech-kern@netbsd.org, NetBSD Current <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 12/26/2004 11:17:50
Hi,

I'm struggling with a 3170 Epson scanner, trying to make it work under
NetBSD-current.

As far as I have understood, the communication protocol used over USB is
not Twain based, therefore non-standard and not-supported by Sane and
its derivatives.

However, there seems to be a program working under Linux called "iscan",
which handles this particular scanner. Unfortunately, since the protocol
is not open, the object files which implement it are given out only as
.o objets, unlinkable under NetBSD (as far as I know).

So, I fetched the binary distribution. But, even when all proper Linux
librairies are installed, it seems not to work; thus I would like to
ask, before continuing tinkering, if:

1. the USB emulation layer (Linux <> NetBSD) works, so if we can expect
a 'normal' behaviour from the Linux version of libusb.so ? (That's for
tech-kern)

2. If I compile the libusb package with a Linux GCC using the BSD
headers, will I produce a 'usable' libusb, that is, loadable under Linux
and producing direct NetBSD USB calls ? (That for tech-kern/current-users !)

3. Or does anybody know about iscan for NetBSD ?

4. Has anybody done anything like this ?

Thanks, cheers !
Vincent