Subject: xterm question
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2004 10:37:09
Due to a disk crash I had to reinstall -current from scratch.  There is
just one lingering problem with permissions before I'm back to normal.

When I use startx as an ordinary user most everything works except
xterm and gnome-terminal.

The problem with xterm is this:
   595 xterm    NAMI  "/dev/ptyp0"
   595 xterm    RET   open 5
   595 xterm    CALL  getuid
   595 xterm    RET   getuid 1000/0x3e8, 1000/0x3e8
   595 xterm    CALL  chown(0x482e1490,0x3e8,4)
   595 xterm    NAMI  "/dev/ttyp0"
   595 xterm    RET   chown -1 errno 1 Operation not permitted

xterm tries to chown ttyp0 to my UID (1000) and fails.  If I make
xterm SUID (like FreeBSD) then it works.  But xterm wasn't SUID
before the disk crash and I don't think it should be necessary.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for any ideas.