Subject: Re: tools build failure
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
From: Antti Kantee <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/2004 23:10:42
On Wed Dec 15 2004 at 21:26:17 +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 02:02:27 +0200
> Antti Kantee <> wrote:
> > I shouldn't be running autolose at all.  Try updating now.  The build
> > might (not) work.
> I haven't updated yet.  However, doing:
> 'touch configure'
> inside dist/file made it work.  Looks like a problem with timestamps (but
> I thought this was worked around by autotools's 'missing' script).

It's a factor of three different issues as far as I could understand:

1) AM_MAINTAINER_MODE was *not* set, hence rebuild enabled
2) cvs update doesn't preserve timestamps
3) we don't want autoconf building all around the source tree even
   if you happen to have the correct autoconf-tools installed

Everything should be okay now, just update & build away.

I advise not attempting to build if you happen to have a checkout from
the window of brokenness, or conflicts might result after dist/file is
updated the next time.  Yet another reason to have a r/o source tree.

  - antti

Antti Kantee <>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
                "in the beginning were the mother sauces"