Subject: Crossbuilding -current tooldir
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/2004 21:11:56
Hi,

Are there known problems with crossbuilding NetBSD under, say, FreeBSD,
and the latest tooldir location?

I've unset the `-T' value that I've carried around for months when it
was a tools.MACHINE-like thing in the obj directory, and noticed that
it is now created in my NetBSD src directory -- specifically
/dist/src/NetBSD-src/src/tooldir.FreeBSD-4.10-STABLE-i386
and not in the obj directory.  This is as of some weeks ago by now.

Might there be SRC_TOP_OBJ issues here or something, or could it be
something in the make.conf I specify (or something missing)?  Is there
a quick test I can do?  I tried my ancient FreeBSD4 `make -V .OBJDIR'
in the src directory and got heaps of errors, should that mean anything;
using a previously-built nbmake gave me the source directory itself...
Specifying MAKECONF and `nbmake -V BSDOBJDIR' gives /dist/obj/NetBSD
under which I would expect to find tooldir.whatever, while .OBJDIR
again gives me the same as .CURDIR ...

(Clearly I don't know what I'm doing or should be doing, as the various
possibilities of `make' make my head hurt.  I should post other relevant
parts of the make.conf file in use, but the previous tools.whatever
before the tooldir change did place things in my obj directory, and
as noted, by specifying `-T' in my build script, I failed to notice
this change)

thanks
barry bouwsma