Subject: Re: unbootable new disk?
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/2004 10:01:47 (Steven M. Bellovin) writes:
> Any suggestions on what I should do to get it working?

When I had unbootable disks under netbsd I found it useful to dd over
the first track of the disk and start again.  For a while (and perhaps
still???) fdisk and friends didn't correctly initialize a disk that
looked like it might be being shared between two OS's.

I've only done this dd when rebuilding a disk from scratch
(eg. followed directly by fdisk/disklabel/newfs/tar) so I've never
tested a mode where it just clobbers the first 64 sectors and keeps
all the fdisk partition 1 data.  I normally just nuke a megabyte or

(As an aside, I think the only netbsd I installed from an install disk
was 1.2.  All the rest were clones (grafts ???) from that original

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
	 When you talk to musicians about pirates they think
		   you are talking about the RIAA.