Subject: Re: anyone using slapd monitor backend ?
To: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/2004 03:09:57
On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 08:47:39AM +0000, Dick Davies wrote:
> For the record, it *is* a pthread problem, and setting
>
> PTHREAD_DIAGASSERT=A
>
> in /etc/rc.d/slapd
>
> fixes the crash.

It is my understanding that PTHREAD_DIAGASSERT catches buggy code that
does incorrect things with pthreads (destroying a mutex that has
already been destroyed, for example). Setting it to "A" just causes it
to ignore the errors and continue (i.e., destroying a mutex that has
already been destroyed just does nothing, instead of aborting);
however, the code that uses pthreads is still buggy. I seem to recall
the rationale for having it abort by default is that it's better to
detect buggy code, so that it can be fixed, rather than just
blissfully ignoring the bugs.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 29 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++