Subject: Re: ext2fs support broken in -current
To: None <>
From: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2004 19:56:59
On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 06:30:28PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <>,
> Kevin Lahey <> wrote:
> >
> >Alas, this only postponed the agony of the assert;  I could write
> >a few files after the patch, but I still eventually got a crash.
> >I think that the problem may actually *be* the assert.
> >
> >I checked, and ext2fs seemed to have been working just fine before
> >the commit that put in the assert;  when I added the assert to
> >that working code, the assert triggered.  Removing the assert from
> >the code doesn't seem to exposed any more bugs.
> >
> >I don't really feel comfortable enough with the filesystem code
> >to say all this with any confidence.  Could someone else take a look
> >and tell me if I'm crazy?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Kevin
> >
> The assert was added by chuck a long time ago, so I doubt it is at fault.
> I suggest you put some debugging printfs to see in which cases the values
> are different.
> christos

The `KASSERT(vp->v_size == ip->i_size)' was added by mycroft on 2004/08/15.

As someone else already observed ufs/ufs/inode.h has:

	 * These fields are currently only used by FFS and LFS,
	 * do NOT use them with ext2fs.
	u_int64_t i_size;       /* File byte count. */
Juergen Hannken-Illjes - - TU Braunschweig (Germany)