Subject: Re: IP stack stop responding
To: Jan H. van Gils <JanVG@Knoware.NL>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2004 14:59:05
>>hi,
>

> Thanks for the reply Timo.
>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have a small question ?
>>>
>>>I have a current system running on a Pentium II 350MHz and 256Mb ram.
>>>the network interface card is a 3Com 3C905TX running on a 10Mb hub.
>>>
>>>When other systems connected to the same hub generate a lot
>>
>>of traffic
>>
>>>say 90% load or more I am not able to connect to the current system.
>>>
>>>It is even worse, I have to reboot the system to get the stack up and
>>>running
>>>again.
>>>
>>>Can anybody tell me what is going on and how to solve this ?
>>>
>>>Jan
>

> Some extra info regarding the Kernel:
> The Kernel is build using GENERIC and I disable XNS, Apple, X25 and OSI
> futher I enabled IPSEC and IPSEC_ESP.
> That's all
>

>>it'd be very useful to have a little peek into some logfiles like
>>/var/log/messages e.g., especially whether there are some messages
>>regarding to your 3com NIC.
>

> grep -i 3com /var/log/messages
>
> Nov 14 14:28:22 borg /netbsd: ex0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0: 3Com 3c905B-TX
> 10/1
> 00 Ethernet (rev. 0x24)
> Nov 14 14:28:22 borg /netbsd: ex0: interrupting at irq 10
> Nov 14 14:28:22 borg /netbsd: ex0: MAC address 00:10:4b:06:80:9a
> Nov 14 14:28:22 borg /netbsd: exphy0 at ex0 phy 24: 3Com internal media
> interface
>
> So messages is not giving a lot of extra information ;-)

so there seems no 'useful' information on your system...

is your 10mbps hub manageable? or do you have one handy? if so, there
maybe a hint in it's logs.

second, if you don't have any manageable devices handy, try running e.g.
tcpdump and try to reproduce the failure. maybe the dump shows what's
going wrong.

HTH,

timo