Subject: running linux binaries
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Cernohorsky <cerno@cerno.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/2004 21:31:22
Hello,

I'm trying to make runnable a linux binary of the program Gaussian 03
(under COMPAT_LINUX) on NetBSD. (hardware is i386 SMP). On todays current
it segfaults (reproducibly) in l101.exe. When analysing the coredump, gdb
complaints about internal error and unreliable debugging:

|> This GDB was configured as "i386--netbsdelf"...(no debugging symbols found)...
|> Core was generated by `l101.exe'.
|> Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
|> /autobuild/netbsd-2-0/src/gnu/dist/gdb/gdb/solib-svr4.c:1282: gdb-internal-error: legacy_fetch_link_map_offsets called without legacy link_map support enabled.
|> An internal GDB error was detected.  This may make further debugging unreliable.  Quit this debugging session? (y or n) n
|>
|> Create a core file containing the current state of GDB? (y or n) n
|>
|> #0  0x0804dcb9 in lodmas_ ()
|> (gdb) where
|> #0  0x0804dcb9 in lodmas_ ()
|> Cannot access memory at address 0xbf9c75a8
|> (gdb)

I'm not experienced in debugging binaries running under emulation,
but it seems to me that either the process tramples its own memory,
or I'm stupid and the debugging session should be done quite differently.
The ktrace dump revealed nothing suspect (I can make it available,
if anyone is interested), at least it seems to me. I'm afraid that
I'm experiencing a (mis)use of some arcanne linuxism in the binary
that we do not support (and will be hard to implement) so I will be
forced to revert the machines in question to linux. I tried to google
a bit, but found nobody ever mentioning to run (or at least trying
to run) gaussian on NetBSD.

Has anyone an idea where I can start? Or has anyone encountered
similar behavior?

Thanks,
								cerno

--