Subject: Re: softdeps + 2.0_RC4 = crash
To: None <>
From: Matthias Petermann <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/2004 17:11:46

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 17:06:52 +0200
Jukka Marin <> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am now running the 2.0_RC4 kernel on my desktop system.  I can still
> crash the system with gimp.  All I need to do is save a large image to
> /tmp (where the gimp swap file also lives).  The system panics (I guess,
> can't see the console behind X).

Can you please post your disklabel-scheme?
Default install of NetBSD 2.0 makes /tmp as memory filesystem (mfs) which
means, the filesystem is build into some kind of ramdisk.
If you create large files in /tmp, the systems memory decreases and the
kernel has to swap out. If /tmp grows further more, maybe the swap is full
which means a total out of memory -> kernel hangs. I had the same problems
with AudaCity - resolved it by setting /tmp to a real disklabel on harddisc.

Kind regards

  ,MN  NM, PPPP,   Matthias Petermann . Cell: +49 172 878 43 76
  MM    MM PPPP'   mailto: