Subject: Re: dhclient
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/2004 13:37:32
jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca (John Nemeth) writes:

> As somebody else in this thread mentioned, you could do something
> using ifwatchd.  If you check the manpage, you will see that there
> is a method of informing dhclient of new interfaces.

I've got dhclient working just the way I want it to, except for this
particular bit.  As you say, the man page does tell me that there is a
way, and it even hints that omshell(1) can be used to do it, but I've
been unable to figure out how.

By experimentation, I've worked out how to use omshell to suspend and
resume dhclient (this is suspend; resume has "set state = 4"):

/usr/sbin/omshell <<EOF
server 127.0.0.1
port 580
connect
new control
open
set state = 3
update
EOF

If someone has a hint for me regarding how to use omshell for telling
dhclient about added and removed interfaces, I'd appreciate it!

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway Hosting
www.eunet.no  T +47-22092958 M +47-93013940 F +47-22092901 FWD 484145