Subject: Using Xfree86's "current" sources for xsrc
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/2004 16:53:17
Hi,

I just got a brand new machine at work. A Dell Optiplex (not infront of
it now, so I don't have all the HW info.)

I installed 2.99.10 without a hitch and then ran X -configure to get an
initial XF86Config. The problem is - X did not recognize the video
device, so used the generic "vesa" driver and left a half-hearted config
in XF86Config.new. And although there is no complaint of "no screens"
the display just goes to sleep after X is started.

My workaround is to check out the latest CVS from XFree86.org and build
using the standard "make World" deal, installing over the
NetBSD-delivered xsrc. Now everything works, apparently there is a new
driver that recognizes my hardware.

Is it possible to set a flag of some sort such that, when I run
./build.sh [...] -x [...] release, it will use the "current" XFree sources?

Or, even better, have some kind of CVS tag that causes a checkout of
xsrc to grab the sources from XFree86.org instead of from netbsd.org.

My initial suspicion is to just replace the "xc" directory in xsrc with
the updated one, but I would not want to break anything.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Louis