Subject: Re: unofficial poll about new logo
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/2004 15:25:20

>>> Huh? Do you mean that NetBSD suddenly weren't allowed to use the
>>> demon,
>>> and that McKusick threatened to sue NetBSD???
>>
>> I've no idea whether he threatened to or not, but that's not relevant:
>> TNF clearly doesn't hold any rights to the Daemon, and it's generally
>> bad idea to rely on the good will of another agent in these
>> conditions;
>> especially when that agent is associated with a different group
>> operating in a similar field.
>
> Obviously FreeBSD don't see it the same way. Atleast I can't find
> McKusicks name among the FreeBSD release engineering people.
> And work McKusick have done lately looks like it has been used in all
> BSD-derived systems.
>
> I'd be rather surprised if this actually was a reason for avoiding the
> daemon. If it is so, we really should drop the "BSD" moniker as well.
> That should be an even hotter potato than the daemon.

if you really want to avoid every possible 'offence' against someone
and every possible IP-related stuff, we should

- name NetBSD "" (the OS formerly known as NetB*D),

- kick the daemon (in _every_ aspect, even as mascot etc.),

- choose the logo mentioned yesterday or the day before: white circle
on white ground.

but:

i really really really like the BSD in NetBSD :), the daemon is a cute
mascot, and LAW (lawyers are wimps)!

(SCNR)

seriously: if there are IP issues, they should be avoided as much as
possible. otherwise, there are 6+ billion people on this planet,
100,000 of them dying of hunger _every day_, several wars etc etc etc.
that's the way i tell lawyers (and other people who want similar
things) to get away from me...

;)

--
:x!