Subject: Re: unofficial poll about new logo
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/2004 14:20:56
On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 14:12, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Obviously FreeBSD don't see it the same way. Atleast I can't find
> McKusicks name among the FreeBSD release engineering people.
> And work McKusick have done lately looks like it has been used in all
> BSD-derived systems.
>
> I'd be rather surprised if this actually was a reason for avoiding the
> daemon. If it is so, we really should drop the "BSD" moniker as well. That
> should be an even hotter potato than the daemon.

The BSD moniker isn't subject to copyright AFAIK.  The daemon clearly
is.

I very much doubt that the letters BSD could be copyrighted (but I'm not
a lawyer).  Trademark is much more likely, but even then the laws on
trademarking are very different to those on copyright, and I understand
that trademarks have to be claimed rather than being assumed by default
(as is the case for copyright).

R.