Subject: Re: unofficial poll about new logo
To: Richard Earnshaw <>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/2004 15:12:58
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 12:59, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>> If, by the 'Daemon', you mean Beastie, then I think you'll find that the
>>> copyright on it is held by Marshall Kirk McKusick
>>> (
>>> Now you might not care about IP law suits, but I'm glad to hear that TNF
>>> does.
>> Huh? Do you mean that NetBSD suddenly weren't allowed to use the demon,
>> and that McKusick threatened to sue NetBSD???
> I've no idea whether he threatened to or not, but that's not relevant:
> TNF clearly doesn't hold any rights to the Daemon, and it's generally a
> bad idea to rely on the good will of another agent in these conditions;
> especially when that agent is associated with a different group
> operating in a similar field.

Obviously FreeBSD don't see it the same way. Atleast I can't find
McKusicks name among the FreeBSD release engineering people.
And work McKusick have done lately looks like it has been used in all
BSD-derived systems.

I'd be rather surprised if this actually was a reason for avoiding the
daemon. If it is so, we really should drop the "BSD" moniker as well. That
should be an even hotter potato than the daemon.

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
email:           ||  Reading murder books