Subject: Re: Crashes in bpf
To: Daniel Carosone <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2004 23:08:48
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 06:49:31 +1000
Daniel Carosone <> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 06:35:13PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > Even though, it only seems to happen when the interface is configured with
> > dhclient...  I haven't been able to crash the kernel with the interface
> > configured manually, and I have run tcpdump multiple times.  Dunno if there
> > can a reason behind this, or is just a matter of coincidence...
> dhclient holds a bpf session open for the interface.  When you say
> you've run tcpdump multiple times, did you mean sequentially or
> simultaneously?

Sequentially; this may explain it.  I will try again with simultaneous runs,
though it's not very easy (have to mount / as read-only to avoid looooooong

Anyway, the first crashes I saw happened while running dhclient only, so I
guess there was only one session open?

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -