Subject: Re: Crashes in bpf
To: None <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2004 18:35:13
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:24:15 +0200
"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <> wrote:

> Hi all,
> during the last few weeks, I've been experiencing (what seem to be) random
> crashes in bpf.  They always happen at system bootup, while dhclient is
> configuring my vr0 card, although they don't happen very often.
> In fact, the first time I saw them was maybe two or three weeks ago, though
> I couldn't do anything useful with the crash dumps because my kernel didn't
> have debugging information.  But today, it happened again - now I have a
> kernel with debug info - so I can provide more information.

Humm, I think I'm able to reproduce it.  'tcpdump -i vr0' exposes the problem
most of the times, just before it starts printing received packets to the

Even though, it only seems to happen when the interface is configured with
dhclient...  I haven't been able to crash the kernel with the interface
configured manually, and I have run tcpdump multiple times.  Dunno if there
can a reason behind this, or is just a matter of coincidence...

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -