Subject: Re: does anyone have the Xorg X server from pkgsrc working w/ -current?
To: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/2004 11:14:13
Harry Waddell wrote:

> I'm running i386 -current and I recently recompiled all my packages with
> X11_TYPE=xorg in my /etc/mk.conf.

I did this a week ago (13th October).

> at the end of /var/log/Xorg.0.log are the lines:
>
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
> Unknown wskbd type 0

I see the same messages - here's mine with the other keyboard/mouse
messages from just before the ones you quote:

(**) Option "Protocol" "wsmouse"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: wsmouse
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/wsmouse"
(==) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc101"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "us"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
Unknown wskbd type 0

> I get the same result using the old keyboard and the new kdb driver.
> Changing the keyboard from usb to ps/2 also has no effect. [not surprising]
>
> here's the keyboard input section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "kbd"
> EndSection

This is the same as I have.

> Has anyone had sucess with the Xorg server, or alternatively, has
> anyone else run into this, or a similar problem? I'd really like to
> know if this is a general problem, or just some localized stupidity on
> my part.

The Xorg server has been working ok for me, except for the very first
time I tried it.  Without a properly set up xorg.conf, starting the X
server locked up my laptop.  Otherwise it has been faultless since.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/