Subject: Re: syspkg dependencies
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/2004 10:55:09
David Young wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:59:56AM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> > In message <20041019055322.GL17288@che.ojctech.com>, David Young writes:
> > >We are building small routers for CompactFlash.  We have an ugly script,
> > >'mkstaboot', that builds NetBSD, pares it down, and then installs
> > >routing and other software.  It is in our public source repository under
> > >trunk/src/boot-image/.  Available for browsing:
> >
> > Cool!
> >
> > What kind of size range are you targeting?
>
> It is smaller than 32MB.  We did that without "breaking a sweat."
> Much smaller is achievable.  I think that w/o much work, Bryan had
> shrunk us to a 13MB md-image.  That would not boot, and we put it aside.

> I think we needed to set a larger NKPTP.

This particular problem should be fixed now:

  RCS file: /cvsroot/src/sys/arch/i386/i386/locore.S,v

  revision 1.29
  date: 2004/08/05 15:25:29;  author: mycroft;  state: Exp;  lines: +11 -4
  Increase nkpde automatically to adjust for the kernel size.  Also, if we did
  adjust nkpde, save the new value.  This should enable us to boot extremely
  large kernels without fiddling with NKPTP.

and

  RCS file: /cvsroot/src/sys/arch/i386/include/pmap.h,v

  revision 1.80
  date: 2004/08/05 15:26:59;  author: mycroft;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -3
  Set NKPTP default to 0 (it's calculated in locore).  Also reduce NKPTP_MIN to
  2 -- though, with our current rounding of the data section, we will never take
  advantage of that.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/