Subject: Re: syspkg dependencies
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2004 01:11:13
On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:59:56AM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <20041019055322.GL17288@che.ojctech.com>, David Young writes:
> >We are building small routers for CompactFlash.  We have an ugly script,
> >'mkstaboot', that builds NetBSD, pares it down, and then installs
> >routing and other software.  It is in our public source repository under
> >trunk/src/boot-image/.  Available for browsing:
>
> Cool!
>
> What kind of size range are you targeting?

It is smaller than 32MB.  We did that without "breaking a sweat."
Much smaller is achievable.  I think that w/o much work, Bryan had
shrunk us to a 13MB md-image.  That would not boot, and we put it aside.
I think we needed to set a larger NKPTP.

We are keen on running on very, very cheap, Flash ROM-limited systems
in the future.

Dave