Subject: Re: ksh as option for shell [Re: Bash as Option for Shell]
To: Chapman Flack <flack@cerias.purdue.edu>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/17/2004 22:10:17
Sender: current-users-owner@NetBSD.org

Like Chap said, there are differences.  While I too like pdksh (it is
loads better than bash IMNSHO), it is a real PITA when I go to use
scripts I developed for the "real thing" on UnixWare or other UN*X
systems, only to find that I was relying on yet another feature that
pdksh never supported.  There are some really subtle differences in
functions between pdksh and ksh93, and that has bitten me a few times.
Then there are some other things that I find myself occasionally
wanting, like true associative arrays, which pdksh does not handle.

- Doug

Quoting Chapman Flack (flack@cerias.purdue.edu):

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com