Subject: Re: [bsd] Re: Upgrade V2RC2 su problem
To: Thilo Jeremias <jeremias@optushome.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/2004 09:31:59
--gr/z0/N6AeWAPJVB

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:44:06PM +1000, Thilo Jeremias wrote:
> Hmm,
> I did the build step as root. (so I probably thought the permissions =20
> where set OK)

Nope. If you use -U, no permissions are set.

> So that means if I use -U,
> the build will only at install phase set the permissions ?
> (Is that to prevent having privileged executables in non-secure locations=
 ?)

Kinda.

-U is designed to permit unprivileged builds. All commands look in the=20
metalog for permissions; the on-disk ones are ignored.

So it's not to prevent privileged executables, it to prevent needing to be=
=20
able to make privileged executables.

And there's no logic to make -U mean -U unless I'm root. Nor do I ever=20
expect there will be.

Take care,

Bill

--gr/z0/N6AeWAPJVB