Subject: Re: [bsd] Re: V2 RC2 shows and uses wrong partition table entry
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/2004 07:51:22
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 09:13:17PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> bouyer@antioche.eu.org said:
> > The disklabel is at the beginning of c:, not d:. This may be enouth to
> > make sure that c: is the NetBSD partition of the disk.
>
> The disklabel is found by using the offset found in the MBR - at
> that point it shouldn't matter whether a c: entry points to
> the same place or not.
> Again - please excuse if I'm missing something, it was a while
> ago when I looked into this.

I changed most of the kernel disklabel stuff to scan the MBR for the
NetBSD (169) partition(s) a while ago.  But there are still some
parts that assume 'c' referes to the (only) NetBSD MBR partition.

Since NetBSD i386 uses absolute sector number in the disklabel (not
ones relative the the MBR partition), the best way to look at things
is that the disklabel describes the whole disk, but is written to the
start of the NetBSD partition(s).

This does mean the 'c' is reserved and not really used for anything.
But allocating it to a fs will break compatibility.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk