Subject: Re: Changes to net/if.c cause panics (was: CVS commit: src/sys/net)
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/2004 21:40:32

    >> > To generate a diff of this commit:
    >> > cvs rdiff -r1.144 -r1.145 src/sys/net/if.c
    >>
    >> I guess this breaks removable network interface (like xx at
    >> cardbus etc) since they don't exist when main() calls
    >> if_attachdomain().

    Matthias> It seems that this change causes much more problems. My
    Matthias> system kept crashing or freezing frequently because of
    Matthias> that change. Several attempts to complete a NetBSD build
    Matthias> failed because the system died. And my system doesn't
    Matthias> use any removable network interfaces (unless the unused
    Matthias> "fw0" counts as a removable interface).

    Matthias> After backing out the above change in my source tree the
    Matthias> system stayed up the whole night and completed a NetBSD
    Matthias> build without problems. Markus W Kilbinger reported
    Matthias> similar problems. If backing out the change fixes his
    Matthias> problem, too, I will revert the last two revisions in
    Matthias> the NetBSD source tree.

Ok, I had time to test src/sys/net/if.c revisions 1.144, 1.145 and
1.146 on my system and got the same results as Matthias Scheler:
Revisions 1.145 and 1.146 produce sudden and complete hangups of my
i386 system (no removeable network device, just one fxp nic).
Reverting to revision 1.144 solved this problem on my machine, too.

Markus.