Subject: Re: dump(8) behaviour
To: Martin J. Laubach <>
From: Stefan Schumacher <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/2004 21:05:32

Also sprach Martin J. Laubach (
>   Has anybody seen anything like this before? It happens to me
> every now and then it seems (the backup worked for quite some
> time, and now doesn't anymore)

Usually I umount my /home befor dumping and have no such problem, but
I see that kind of behaviour sometimes on a webserver, whose /home
isn't unmounted before dump starts.

>   It looks as if dump got in some kind of loop and never
> finishes (usually that disk is dumped in an hour or two,
> I interrupted the dump after 10 hours).

Is the disk mounted and accessed by other processes? see fstat(1)
If so, what happens if you umount /dev/rld0h before dumping?

Menschen f=FCrchteten die Dunkelheit. Vertrieben sie mit Feuer.

Ayanami Rei

Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (NetBSD)