Subject: Re: File system > 1 Terabyte
To: Selvan Naidoo <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2004 12:59:10

On Sep 29, 2004, at 7:51 AM, Selvan Naidoo wrote:

> I have a query with regards to disk storage in excess of 1 Terabyte.
> I have a 1.6.2 Stable unit that's attached to SCSI Raid unit with a
> capacity
> of approximately 1,2 Terabytes.

You cannot create a file system larger than 1TB with the FFS code in
1.6.2.  NetBSD 2.0 will include FFSv2 which has 64-bit block numbers,
which enable > 1TB file systems.  Sorry, the changes are too large to
try and back-port to 1.6.2.

The remaining problem is, as you have noticed, the disklabel still uses
32-bit block numbers, giving a max of 2TB.  We are planning for that
issue to be fixed in NetBSD 3.0.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)