Subject: Re: NetBSD 2 on Sparcstation 1+
To: Chris Laverdure <dashevil@sympatico.ca>
From: Chris Laverdure <dashevil@sympatico.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/2004 01:19:19
On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 19:18, Chris Laverdure wrote:
> I finally got build.sh working on my FreeBSD 5 host. Here is what
> happens when I try to boot the miniboot.fs with my sparc:
>
> (25Mhz, 12MB RAM)
>
> ok boot sd(,1,1)netbsd -s
> Probing Memory Bank #: 1 2 3 4 5
> Booting from: sd(0,1,1)netbsd -s
> >> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.14
> >> (incubus@elemental.DashEvil, Sun Sep 26 16:41:42 EDT 2004)
> Booting netbsd
> Cannot load netbsd: error=27
>
> device[sd(0,1,1)netbsd] ("halt" to halt):
>
> The netbsd-GENERIC kernel from src/obj/releasedir/sparc/binary/kernel is
> 3,577,813 bytes ungziped.
>
> I know this is an old thread, just trying to see if this clears anything
> up at all. :P

Alright, I hacked src/sys/arch/sparc/stand/boot/boot.c so that the
kernel loading mechanism was the same as it was in NetBSD 1.6.2

I got a Data Exception Error when I tried to boot.

A quick google showed that the guy who told me my kernel may simply be
too big to fit in memory because the kernel has to be able to fit
entirely in the first SIMM was correct -- that is my problem. Apparenlty
I need a 3MB or smaller kernel.

Does this include kernel modules? If not, then the kernel should be
fragmented into as many modules as is sensical so that basic
mini-kernels can be crafted for every platform.

I still believe that the error message should be a bit less vague than
"error=27" :P