Subject: Re: can I get some offlist pkg X11 status/fu please?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/2004 09:09:32
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:06:20 +0000 (UTC) tron@zhadum.de (Matthias Scheler) wrote:

>In article <20040923095144.453c7aab@garlic.apnic.net>,
>	George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> writes:
>> Can I beg an offlist idea of the pro:cons of cutting to the pkg
>> version of X11? Is there anything compelling (eg DRI, fonting
>> improvements, speed) which I'd get from this,
>
>Why do you think that such features wouldn't be incooperated into the
>NetBSD X11 sources? If e.g. anybody submits DRI changes which pass
>a code review I will immediately incooperate them.

Code review means the features may lag for some time. BTW, I *like* this, I like having an xsrc which is trustable. I know I've kibbitzed about it not moving forward, but faced with a choice between works/stable and not, I support leaving xsrc stable every time. /usr/pkg/ can be much less 'tested' (I hesitate to name names, but I'm sure we're all running installed packages which do not meet what we'd call 'code review' here..)

I might elect to run on less stable stuff, but Its fine that the releases don't take it. Thus the possibility the port has stuff which is more cutting edge.

>> ... or is it more about flavour and politics?
>
>Neither nor. These packages were added for the benefit of non-NetBSD
>platforms initially. The reason that they are also marked as suitable
>for NetBSD these days is just that there is no reason not to build
>them there. And it also provides bulk build coverage.
>
>> I only say offlist because I suspect it doesn't need to be rehearsed
>> widely. I don't want to trigger a flamefest!
>
>I don't think you will.

So far, two offlist 'me too' and no direct input. I think you've clarified that its listed as working and available, but there isn't a compelling difference yet.

However, as x.org move on their 'fork' and David Dawes moves on his, we have to accept there is the increased likelihood of divergeance. At some stage, there will be something which is fundamentally interesting (I notice X.org made some noise recently about alpha channel support moving on a bit)

Thanks for the answer Matthias. Your work on X is very much appreciated.

cheers

-George