Subject: Re: Version Naming/Numbering
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/2004 16:23:16
Confusing people is one thing.

Breaking #if logic is another.

Dealing with code is about a different kind of POLA than with people.

When I find code won't make because of cpp problems, its very depressing. The track record for re-syncing changes into larger systems (X11?) isn't brilliant here. GCC for instance, could be expected to take a while to bed in a significant alteration of how >= logic works for tuning the outcome of that code-make process.

I very much hope that you can come up with a fix which works for both code and people, but if not, I'd suggest that making it work for code matters more.

-George