Subject: Re: Wash and Go
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/2004 08:07:14
Thus spake Zafer Aydogan ("ZA> ") sometime Today...

ZA> The other Sideeffect is VI.
ZA> I can't remember which vi it was, but i can remember there where Line
ZA> Numbers.
ZA> I'd like to know on which Line Number I am.
ZA> I need an easy Editor with comfort for productive working (Beside Joe) on
ZA> the shell. Any Recommandations ?

In vi, you can have, in your $EXINIT envariable, "so $HOME/.exrc".

(so is short for "source".)

In your $HOME/.exrc, you have a line reading:

se nu

[SEt NUmber - set line numbering on.]

There are several other variables worth researching, though <ahem>
some of the more cryptic ones are not well documented <example>
such as "paragraphs"</example></ahem>.

ZA> All this sums up to inproductivity at large. I need something like, set up
ZA> and go. (Like Plug and Play).

er, that's usually "Plug and Pray".

ZA> Regards, Zafer.

				--*greywolf;
--
"I presume I need no introduction." -- Lestat