Subject: Re: NetBSD 2 status
To: The Grey Wolf <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2004 15:37:22

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 11:28:32AM -0700, The Grey Wolf wrote:
> Thus spake Jean-Luc Wasmer ("JW> ") sometime Yesterday...
> JW> Hi,
> JW>
> JW> What is the status of the NetBSD 2 formal release?
> JW> Any chance it might be seriously outdated by current before it's ready
> JW> to ship?
> If 2.0 is *that* outdated by -current, I would hope that 2.0 might be
> one of those dead-on-the-shelf releases, and that we release 2.1
> instead.  To have a release that far outpaced effectively makes the
> release useless.

Then we'd never release anything.

Even though -current has kept on going, there are still a large number of=
features in 2.0 compared to 1.6. Like threads. So I see there is still a=20
lot of value in the 2.0 release.

A lot of changes to -current have been getting back-ported to the 2.0=20
branch, so in many ways it's not that far back. Most of the change that=20
haven't been pulled back are ones that are considered too destablizing to=
feed in.

The main problem has been with the IPF changes. A number of niggles have=20
shown up that haven't resolved quickly.

Take care,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)