Subject: Re: audio inputs issues on IBM X.31 with kphone,audacity, audioctl/mixerctl
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2004 09:04:58
George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> writes:

> I'm having problems with audio input on an IBM X.31 laptop.

I was too, but figured it out.  I use kphone to talk to an Asterisk
software PBX, also running under NetBSD.  :-)

> Unless I use mixerctl -w inputs.mic.preamp=on and inputs.mic.mute=off
> I get nothing, and I get a feedback loop all the time with these,
> (headphones help but the mike is (as it says) always on)

I ended up with the following in my rc.local -- this is all I do to
the audio configuration; apart from this, I just use the buttons on
the keyboard to adjust output volume.

/usr/sbin/audioctl -w record.port=1
/usr/sbin/audioctl -w record.gain=240

This way, kphone works with or without ear plugs -- but it's more
pleasant to use with them, of course.

> (I won't ditch the X.31! in other respects its a fine and dandy
> laptop)

Agreed!  :-)

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway Hosting
www.eunet.no  T +47-22092958 M +47-93013940 F +47-22092901 FWD 484145