Subject: Re: NetBSD 2 status
To: netbsd Current <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2004 12:17:51
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, The Grey Wolf wrote:

> JW> What is the status of the NetBSD 2 formal release?
> JW> Any chance it might be seriously outdated by current before it's ready
> JW> to ship?
>
> If 2.0 is *that* outdated by -current, I would hope that 2.0 might be
> one of those dead-on-the-shelf releases, and that we release 2.1
> instead.  To have a release that far outpaced effectively makes the
> release useless.

I was thinking that the NetBSD 1.6 was delayed longer than this, so I was
going to say it didn't seem to matter much then. But ...

NetBSD 1.6 was branched on May 22, 2002 (known as 1.6_BETA1). After a
few betas and release candidates, the official release was September 7,
2002.

NetBSD 2 began on March 24, so I see it is a couple months behind compared
to the NetBSD 1.6.

For other comparisons:

NetBSD 1.5 began on June 12, 2000 and became an official release on
November 16.

NetBSD 1.4 began on March 2, 1999 and became official release on May 6,
1999.

NetBSD 1.3 began on October 9, 1997 and became official release on
December 30, 1997.

NetBSD 1.2 began on March 17, 1996 and became official on September 10,
1996.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/