Subject: Re: Sound stuttering with 2.0 on i386
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040907T131349@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/07/2004 13:20:01
maverick6664@infoseek.jp writes:
> When I play music with mpg123 or xmms (or whatever it may be AFAIK,
> with or whitou esound) the sound sometimes begins stuttering when
> other processes are busy and the stuttering doesn't stop until the
> player software stops even if other processes are stopped.
> I use two cmpci (cm8738) cards on P4 2.8EG.

I see the same thing here with a cm8738 card in an athlon-1.1Ghz
machine.  The machine doesn't have to be under load to have it happen.

The fastest way to have it happen is to use a fixed-rate data source.
Eg. having another machine digitize audio at a fixed rate and have it
sent across the net and then played locally.  It will usually start
stuttering within 30 seconds.  It "feels" like the play buffer is
draining and playing snippets of old samples.  Someone that
understands this driver better may want to try turning the play logic
off when the buffer runs empty instead of playing trash.

-wolfgang