Subject: Re: Bad response...
To: None <>
From: Aidan Kehoe <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/2004 16:08:33
 Ar an t-aonú lá is triochad de mí Lúnasa, scríobh Johnny Billquist:

 > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Noriyuki Soda wrote:
 > > FWIW, I'm actually using {2,4} for vm.file{min,max} on my machines,
 > > and I'm happier than the default.
 > > Note that the machines can use most of memory for file cache even
 > > with the {2,4} setting, if anon pages and exec pages aren't big.
 > On a different note, then. What *exacly* does vm.filemax say???

             The percentage of physical memory which will be reclaimed from
             other types of memory usage to store cached file data.

 > The system will use more if more is available. I imagine I understand what
 > vm.filemin says...

(This isn't Linux, the man pages are worth reading ...)

It confused me too, but Noriyuki Soda is exactly right. (NS--not meaning to
be especially formal, I'd have used your given name there if I could work
out which it was--family name in capital letters makes this easier for the
ignorant westerners out here, people.) So, IMO, that means the defaults
make even less sense. Whee.

Like the early Christians, Marx expected the millennium very soon; like
their successors, his have been disappointed--once more, the world has shown
itself recalcitrant to a tidy formula embodying the hopes of some section of
mankind. (Russell)